Saturday 27 March 2010

Howdy

Yeh, I'm split-new to all this bloggery.
So here goes...couple things going on right now: even though the Primevals (most often described as "legendary" Glasgow band: I'm the guitarist) just finished the best album we've ever done - according to me - I still have a whole logjam of musical stuff I need to get out of my system.
So I'm recording a lot of instrumental tracks on an ingenious little Boss 8-track digi recorder these days. Guitars and bass go on at home, once the kids are asleep, and maybe some keyboards (which I can't actually play). The Boss has an integral drum machine which is easily good enough for my needs.
Best bit right now is putting on the horns, which happens at the Mitchell Library in Glasgow - an august institution boasting a number of music carrels (defn: small study room) which can be hired for a princely £1.10 per hour. I take the Boss gizmo with me and uh...blow, man.
I play alto sax, and not really very well at all, but I can make a little go a pretty long way - although I'm thinking of a switch to tenor. My dad played tenor, and I guess most of my favourite horn players (Ayler, Coltrane, Rollins etc) were/are all tenor guys. It's only really Ornette Coleman that does it for me, big-time, on alto.
Anyhoo, I have now blogged. More to come.
Incidentally, the name of this blog - Superfreak7 or Superfreak VII really - is one of the tracks I wrote for the imminent Primevals record. Think Area 51. Round there.
I love the diversity in this group. Mickey writes about real life stuff and my songs are about telekinesis, torch singers, and Murder Inc. Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment